Saturday, July 25, 2009

[Forum] Can I Overcome This Weight Loss Plateau?

From Diet Blog Share:

Hi guys.

I killed my metabolism!

I'm a 5'7" female, and I started dieting when I was at 189.4 lbs - less than two months ago. I dropped down to a fluctuating 170-172 lbs. This was really fast weight loss (almost 20 lbs down in a month and a half), and I used dieting techniques that really aren't healthy in the long run (fasting and extreme calorie restriction). I'm seeing the result because now I'm stuck with a metabolism that's dead in the water.

So, I'm trying to eat more, and continue to exercise, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to revive my metabolism. This makes me afraid to eat a 'healthy' amount, because I don't want the weight to come back. I'm worried that if I don't break this plateau soon, I'm going to go back to being extreme, and this will continue as a pattern. I do not have an Eating Disorder, but have been starting to worry that from what started as a 'health and body image kick', it may be wandering into that territory. It has become obsessive.

Obviously, I don't want that. I want to lose weight at a paced, healthy level and still be able to eat decently (over 1000 calories a day). I've been finding it harder and harder to reach at least 1000 calories a day, because I'm afraid of gaining weight, and frustrated by the plateau.

Please help with any advice.

Original Post